Highlights of the Student-Athletes Protection Bill
Residency of Student-Athletes
- Student athletic associations shall not impose residency requirements on a student-athlete who is a high school graduate enrolling in a college or university;
- No residency requirement on a high school student-athlete transferring from one high school to another high school: Provided, That, to address the issue of piracy, a maximum of one (1) year residency may be imposed by an athletic association on a high school student-athlete who transfers from one member school to another;
- For tertiary student-athlete, a maximum of one year residency may be imposed by an athletic association before a student-athlete could participate and represent a school in any athletic competition;
Benefits and Incentives
Schools may grant a deserving student-athlete the following benefits and incentives:
- Tuition and miscellaneous school fees including books and other learning materials;
- Full board and lodging;
- School and athletic uniforms including supplies, equipment and paraphernalia;
- A reasonable regular monthly living allowance;
- Medical examinations and consultations, emergency medical services, life and medical insurance; and
- Other reasonable and similar benefits that would further enhance the student-athlete’s academic and athletic performance.
Authority of DepEd and CHEd
The DepEd and CHED shall regulate and oversee school athletic associations to ensure that the rights of student-athletes are respected and protected. They are likewise authorized to handle complaints against the school athletic associations, and schools.
Sanctions and Penalties
The DepEd or CHED, may also impose the appropriate penalties under relevant laws, rules or regulations, as follows:
- On erring schools
Any violation of the provisions of this Act shall be punishable by suspension from participating in the athletic organization/s and/or a fine ranging from P100,000 to P1,000,000 depending on the gravity of the offense; and
- On erring athletic associations
Any violation of the provisions of this Act shall be punishable by a fine ranging from P100,000 to P1,000,000 depending on the gravity of the offense.
Nevertheless, any of the persons mentioned in the Bill shall not be prevented from filing a temporary restraining order or any other injunctive relief in court if there is no other plain, speedy, and adequate remedy in the ordinary course of law.
Read: BICAMERAL VERSION of the Student-Athletes Protection Bill