RH bill committee amendments
Introduced by Sen. Pia S. Cayetano
Senate session, 05 September 2012
COMMITTEE AMENDMENTS TO COMMITTEE REPORT NO. 49/S.B. No. 2865 in substitution of S.B. No. 2378 and 2768, taking into consideration PSR No. 238 or “AN ACT PROVIDING FOR A NATIONAL POLICY ON REPRODUCTIVE HEALTH AND POPULATION AND DEVELOPMENT”
1. On Page 1, Line 2 – Delete “2011” and in lieu thereof, insert “2012”.
2. On Page 2, Line 36 – Delete the phrase “non-government”, and in lieu thereof, insert the word “NGOs”. This is an omnibus amendment for the subsequent sections which contains the phrase “non-government organizations”.
3. To put the issue to rest and allay fears that the RH Bill will promote abortion, the following amendment is introduced:
On Page 2, delete Section 3(i) in Lines 41 to 43. In lieu thereof, insert a new subsection (j), which shall read as follows:
“(J) ABORTION IS A CRIMINAL ACT IN ACCORDANCE WITH EXISTING LAWS.”
4. Filipinos are known to espouse a culture of kindness and empathy. We uphold the tradition of reaching out and extending genuine care and concern for our countrymen in need, more so for women who are pregnant and in need of special care.
On Page 3, after Line 3 – Insert a new subsection (l), which shall read as follows:
“(L) ALL COMPLICATIONS ARISING FROM PREGNANCY, LABOR, AND DELIVERY SHALL BE TREATED IN A HUMANE AND COMPASSIONATE MANNER.”
5. On Page 4, Line 5 – Between the phrase “non-government organization” and the word “and”, insert the acronym “(NGO)”.
6. On Page 4, delete Lines 9 to 11 [Delete the entire subsection (i)].
Adjust the lettering of the subsequent subsections accordingly. References to these subsections shall reflect the adjusted lettering.
7. On Page 5, Line 10 – Between the words “elements” and “to”, insert the punctuation mark comma (,), and the phrase “AS REFERRED TO IN SECTION 4 (O),”.
8. - On Page 6, Line 14 – Delete the title of Section 6: “Provision of Emergency Obstetric and Newborn Care” and in lieu thereof, insert the following phrase: “HEALTH CARE FACILITIES.”
9. On Page 6, Line 21, between the word “neglected” and the punctuation mark period (.), insert the phrase “THROUGH HOUSE-TO-HOUSE VISITS OR MOBILE HEALTH CARE CLINICS AS NEEDED.”
Thus, Sec. 6 as amended shall now read as follows:
“SEC. 6. Health Care Facilities. –Each LGU shall ensure the establishment or upgrading of hospitals or facilities with adequate and qualified personnel, equipment, and supplies to be able to provide emergency obstetric and new born care. For every 500,000 population, there shall ideally be at least one (1) public or private hospital for CEMONC and four (4) public or private health facilities for BEMONC which shall also be capable of providing blood transfusion services; Provided, That people in geographically isolated or highly populated and depressed areas shall not be neglected THROUGH HOUSE-TO-HOUSE VISITS OR MOBILE HEALTH CARE CLINICS AS NEEDED.”
10. On Page 6, Line 29 – Before the word “Family”, insert the phrase: “THE PHILIPPINE NATIONAL DRUG FORMULARY SYSTEM AND. Then, delete the phrase “as Essential Medicines.”
Thus, the title of Sec. 9 as amended shall now read as follows:
“SEC. 9. THE PHILIPPINE NATIONAL DRUG FORMULARY SYSTEM AND Family Planning Supplies. – “
11. On Page 6, Line 32 – Between the punctuation mark period (.) and the word “These”, insert the following sentence:
THE PHILIPPINE NATIONAL DRUG FORMULARY SYSTEM (PNDFS) SHALL BE OBSERVED IN SELECTING DRUGS, INCLUDING FAMILY PLANNING SUPPLIES, THAT WILL BE INCLUDED OR REMOVED FROM THE ESSENTIAL DRUGS LIST (EDL) IN ACCORDANCE WITH EXISTING PRACTICE.
In addition, the second sentence found on lines 32-34: “These products and supplies shall also be included in the regular purchase of essential medicines and supplies of all national and local hospitals, provincial, city, and municipal health offices, including rural health units.” shall be transposed as the second paragraph of Sec. 9.
12. On Page 7, Line 44 – Between the word “including” and the phrase “family planning”, insert the phrase, “BUT NOT LIMITED TO MATERNAL HEALTH AND NUTRITION” and the punctuation mark comma (,).
Still on Line 44 – After the phrase “family planning”, insert the following phrase:
“INFORMATION AND SERVICES, ADOLESCENT AND YOUTH REPRODUCTIVE HEALTH, GUIDANCE AND COUNSELING AND OTHER ELEMENTS OF REPRODUCTIVE HEALTH CARE UNDER SECTION 4 (O).”
Insert a new paragraph:
“EDUCATION AND INFORMATION MATERIALS TO BE DEVELOPED AND DISSEMINATED FOR THIS PURPOSE SHALL BE REVIEWED REGULARLY TO ENSURE THEIR EFFECTIVENESS AND RELEVANCE.”
Thus, Section 16, now renumbered as Section 15 as amended shall now read as follows:
SEC. 15. Public Awareness. – The DOH, Commission on Population (POPCOM) and the LGUs shall initiate and sustain a heightened nationwide multi-media campaign to raise the level of public awareness on the protection and promotion of reproductive health and rights including BUT NOT LIMITED TO MATERNAL HEALTH AND NUTRITION, family planning INFORMATION AND SERVICES, ADOLESCENT AND YOUTH REPRODUCTIVE HEALTH, GUIDANCE AND COUNSELING AND OTHER ELEMENTS OF REPRODUCTIVE HEALTH CARE UNDER SECTION 4 (O).
EDUCATION AND INFORMATION MATERIALS TO BE DEVELOPED AND DISSEMINATED FOR THIS PURPOSE SHALL BE REVIEWED REGULARLY TO ENSURE THEIR EFFECTIVENESS AND RELEVANCE.”
13. On the title of the bill, after the word “and”, delete the phrase “Population and Development” and replace it with the phrase “Responsible Parenthood.” Thus, the title of the bill shall now read as follows:
“AN ACT PROVIDING FOR A NATIONAL POLICY ON REPRODUCTIVE HEALTH AND RESPONSIBLE PARENTHOOD.” #
Photo: RH bill sponsor Sen. Pia Cayetano introducing committee amendments during Wednesday’s session.